Friday, June 20, 2008

Germany Observations

I've been here in Hamburg, Germany for about 2 weeks now, living with a host family on the eastern side of the city. I've used the U-Bahn everyday now, and gone exploring both on roads traveled and those less traveled. I've been to Mümmelmannsberg, a neighborhood infamous for gangs and violence, at 22:00 and taken a stroll.

But so far I've noticed no sign of neo-nazism. No graffiti. No pamphlets. No swastikas. Of course, that only means that I'm not looking hard enough, because I'm sure from my research that neo-nazis are abundant in Hamburg. But I cannot seem to find anything related to the ideology or any affiliated groups.

What I have found coincides with what I have researched. Neo-nazis have a very small population, and the new generation of neo-nazism blends into the society. They infiltrate and sit.

I'm sure if I stayed here long enough, I would spot something. I would see a poster, a swastika, graffiti. After all, 9/11 was planned here. But so far, it has been me, my friends, and the friendly people of Hamburg, Germany.

No comments: